Deployment Architecture

deployment client machine type

hartfoml
Motivator

I have a deployment server that I use to configure systems by MaichineType.

I have windows-intel, windows-64x, linux-i686, linux-x86_64

I want to add HP-UX systems does anyone know what the HP-UX systems will show up as in the Splunk U.F. client?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

If you already have a Deployment Server up and running, the simplest way of getting this is probably to install the forwarder on an HP-UX machine and set it to contact the Deployment Server.

On the server you could then run splunk list deploy-clients, or check in the Deployment Monitor under the 'All forwarders' view.

The actual value is not controlled by Splunk, as the OS of the forwarding host supplies this string.

From the serverclass.conf documentation

# The value for machineTypes is a specific string that is designated by the hardware platform itself. 
# The method for finding this string on the client itself will vary by platform, but if the deployment client 
# is already connected to the deployment server, you can determine what this string is by using this
# Splunk CLI command on the deployment server:
# <code>./splunk list deploy-clients</code>
# This will return a value for <code>utsname</code> that you can use to
# specify <code>machineTypes</code>.

hope this helps,

Kristian

View solution in original post

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

If you already have a Deployment Server up and running, the simplest way of getting this is probably to install the forwarder on an HP-UX machine and set it to contact the Deployment Server.

On the server you could then run splunk list deploy-clients, or check in the Deployment Monitor under the 'All forwarders' view.

The actual value is not controlled by Splunk, as the OS of the forwarding host supplies this string.

From the serverclass.conf documentation

# The value for machineTypes is a specific string that is designated by the hardware platform itself. 
# The method for finding this string on the client itself will vary by platform, but if the deployment client 
# is already connected to the deployment server, you can determine what this string is by using this
# Splunk CLI command on the deployment server:
# <code>./splunk list deploy-clients</code>
# This will return a value for <code>utsname</code> that you can use to
# specify <code>machineTypes</code>.

hope this helps,

Kristian

hartfoml
Motivator

This helps thanks

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...