Deployment Architecture

Windows Winsock error 10053

mataharry
Communicator

My splunk instance is an indexer and deployment server on windows 2008
I have 2 problems :

• the WEB UI is sometimes very slow to load (splunkd is not responding fast to splunkweb)
  • the deployment-clients are not correctly deployed on all clients (depends of the network where they are)

I see in $SPLUNK_HOME/var/log/splunk/splunkd.log lots of those errors
06-14-2011 06:48:51.298 -0400 ERROR TcpInputProc - Error encountered for connection from src=10.131.83.10:3837. Winsock error 10053

I checked in MSDN, this error is a timeout of the socket :
WSAECONNABORTED 10053
Software caused connection abort.
An established connection was aborted by the software in your host computer, possibly due to a data transmission time-out or protocol error.

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Is your server using WINS/NETBIOS as only name resolution protocol ?

This is a known error on windows with indexers and deployment server.
Splunk asks the server to do name resolution on the clients in order to apply the whitelist/blacklists for the deployment rules, this resolution is not occurring so the socket stays open until a timeout.

Usually this error is occurring when only WINS is used with separate networks.
Can you check in your network settings, you may need a valid DNS resolving the forwarders/deployment clients hosts names ?

A quick workaround is to populate the host file on the server with the pairs IP / hostname in
%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

View solution in original post

gordo32
Communicator

This same error will be generated if you are enabling SSL communications from Universal Forwarder to Indexer, but haven't installed the root CA onto the Windows Server running the Universal Forwarder (e.g. SSL cert presented by the Indexer isn't trusted).

0 Karma

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Is your server using WINS/NETBIOS as only name resolution protocol ?

This is a known error on windows with indexers and deployment server.
Splunk asks the server to do name resolution on the clients in order to apply the whitelist/blacklists for the deployment rules, this resolution is not occurring so the socket stays open until a timeout.

Usually this error is occurring when only WINS is used with separate networks.
Can you check in your network settings, you may need a valid DNS resolving the forwarders/deployment clients hosts names ?

A quick workaround is to populate the host file on the server with the pairs IP / hostname in
%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...