Deployment Architecture

Why is /opt/splunk/var/run/splunk/cluster/search-buckets filling up my disk?

richarddicaire
Path Finder

Splunk 6.6.3, clustered env. One of our indexers reporting high disk usage. Traced it down to /opt/splunk/var/run/splunk/cluster/search-buckets containing many search_sitedefault_gen*.csv.gz and summarize_sitedefault_gen*.csv.gz files going back to 22 days ago (December 12 at this time). I deleted older ones to stop triggering our disk use alerts.

Whats creating these files and why?

Labels (1)

jk01571

What is the purpose of the file?
And do you know if there is a cycle or setting method to delete automatically?

0 Karma

dxu_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This was a combination of two bugs that were fixed in later versions of splunk (7.0.8+, 7.1.6+, 7.2.4+)

For a workaround, its safe to

• delete older generation files, keeping the last 10 or so per site
  • don't delete the gen0 file

for example, if i have:
search_sitedefault_gen1000.csv.gz as the latest file, i can delete search_sitedefault_gen(1-990).csv.gz safely

but remember this is per site, so if i have the latest:

search_site0_gen1000.csv.gz (delete gen1-990 for site0, dont delete gen0)
search_site1_gen3500.csv.gz (delete gen1-3490 for site1, dont delete gen0)

Sahr_Lebbie
Path Finder

Anyone else facing same issues in 8.2.4. Will check with support and see.

0 Karma

santu27487kanna

Hi dxu,

Is there a workaround for the same?

Thanks,
Santhosh

0 Karma

stepheneardley
Explorer

FWIW and I know it's not ideal but a rolling restart of the cluster peers will clear these down. I'm on 7.1.5.

0 Karma

santu27487kanna

Thank you stepheneardley.

0 Karma

davpx
Communicator

You have a lot of traffic for your deployment. Increase disk space.

0 Karma

BainM
Communicator

This is NOT a helpful answer and does not explain why there are so many of these files in this directory path. There apparently is no documentation from Splunk on this. I am opening a case as I suggest everyone else having this does the same.

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

We had recently a similar but different path issue at Why does /opt/splunk/var/run/searchpeers fill up?

0 Karma

richarddicaire
Path Finder

@ddrillic thanks for responding but not related. I need to know what is creating the above files in /opt/splunk/var/run/splunk/cluster/search-buckets. I just had to delete files from all of my indexers to have available space. Never had to do this before our upgrade to 6.6.3.

0 Karma

richarddicaire
Path Finder

Hi, can anyone provide input as to what is creating search_sitedefault_gen*.csv.gz and summarize_sitedefault_gen*.csv.gz files in /opt/splunk/var/run/splunk/cluster/search-buckets?

Thanks

0 Karma

masonmorales
Influencer

Same issue here on v6.6.5. Did you ever find anything out?

0 Karma

richarddicaire
Path Finder

We're now seeing additional indexers having disk usage issues from the above, can anyone shed any light?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...