Deployment Architecture

Why is my windows cluster peer node continually restarting?

jdastmalchi_spl
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I've set up a new windows cluster, but one of my nodes seems to be in a continual restart. When I looked in splunkd.log, I found the following messages near each restart:

04-03-2013 08:43:37.608 +0200 INFO  CMSlave - successfully moved bundle from 'C:\Program Files\Splunk\var\run\splunk\cluster\remote-bundle\b080fa58dab1dff841b292814b7f6c5e-1364971417' to 'C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\slave-apps'
04-03-2013 08:43:37.608 +0200 INFO  loader - Downloaded new bundle from the cluster master. Restarting splunkd...

I've noticed that the slave-apps folder, where the configuration is supposed to end up, is empty. Has anyone seen this, and if so, how can I resolve the problem?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

jbsplunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

We've seen the splunk service account lose full permissions over the slave-apps directory on windows. Restoring those permissions stopped the restarting loop. The permissions showed "special" for the splunk service account and the Administrators group. Restoring the full permissions resolve the issue for us.

View solution in original post

jbsplunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

We've seen the splunk service account lose full permissions over the slave-apps directory on windows. Restoring those permissions stopped the restarting loop. The permissions showed "special" for the splunk service account and the Administrators group. Restoring the full permissions resolve the issue for us.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...