Deployment Architecture

Why is my timezone configuration in the app directory for my search head cluster being ignored?

wweiland
Contributor

I'm trying to set the timezone via a deployable app to my search head cluster. If I put the configuration in the etc/system/local, it works fine. If it's in the app directory, then it doesn't. I did have a user-prefs.conf in my etc/users directory, but it didn't have the TZ config present and I took it a step further and deleted it. Using find and grep, the file in apps is the only user-prefs.conf that has TZ in it. Can anyone shed light on why Splunk would ignore the configuration even though it shows up in btool?

PS, this is a shcluster, so that's why the file is in default.

TIA,
Todd

Works

/opt/sh2a/etc/system/local/user-prefs.conf [general]
/opt/sh2a/etc/system/local/user-prefs.conf tz = America/New_York
/opt/sh2a/etc/apps/user-prefs/default/user-prefs.conf [general_default]
/opt/sh2a/etc/apps/user-prefs/default/user-prefs.conf appOrder = search
/opt/sh2a/etc/apps/user-prefs/default/user-prefs.conf default_namespace = $default
/opt/sh2a/etc/apps/user-prefs/default/user-prefs.conf showWhatsNew = 1

Doesn't work

/opt/sh2a/etc/apps/all_sh_base/default/user-prefs.conf [general]
/opt/sh2a/etc/apps/all_sh_base/default/user-prefs.conf tz = America/New_York
/opt/sh2a/etc/apps/user-prefs/default/user-prefs.conf [general_default]
/opt/sh2a/etc/apps/user-prefs/default/user-prefs.conf appOrder = search
/opt/sh2a/etc/apps/user-prefs/default/user-prefs.conf default_namespace = $default
/opt/sh2a/etc/apps/user-prefs/default/user-prefs.conf showWhatsNew = 1

0 Karma
1 Solution

lycollicott
Motivator

Cool. My first forum cross-reference. 🙂

wweiland
Contributor

Interesting, I'll try and make my app global. Thank you for pointing out that post.

0 Karma

wweiland
Contributor

Setting the app to global worked. Thanks!

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

So there is an actual app that is distributed with Splunk named user-prefs

$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/user-prefs

I believe that this app gets some special treatment, that affects the order of precedence. See this description of user-prefs.conf in the Admin manual.

0 Karma

wweiland
Contributor

Same problem with the ui-prefs.conf too. Ended up making a link and it seems to be working, but it doesn't make sense.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...