Deployment Architecture

Why does "splunk show shcluster-status" show "last_conf_replication: Pending" after upgrade from 6.3.2 to 6.5.0?

daniel_kwok72
Explorer

Hi

Recently I upgraded my Splunk environment from 6.3.2 to 6.5.0. The environment has a search head cluster, an indexer cluster, and the manager server. After the upgrade, when I run the splunk show shcluster-status, I noticed there is a new status called last_conf_replication and it always shows Pending for the search head members, but the search head captain doesn't have this. The replication is running fine in the Indexer cluster, so I am not quite sure what this new option is about and how to get the replication finished. Can anyone shed some lights on this?

Thank you.

daniel_kwok72
Explorer

Hi markusspitzli2

Did Splunk Support advise in which release this bug will be fixed? Splunk 6.6 is recently released but when I went through the release note, I couldn't find the bug fix mentioned.

0 Karma

markusspitzli2
Explorer

Hi Daniel.

No. The support is still talking to the development team.

0 Karma

princemanto2580
Path Finder

Even for me also, other 2 Search Head Cluster member showing the same status.

last_conf_replication : Pending

Any quick suggestion to fixed it.

0 Karma

markusspitzli2
Explorer

We had the same state in our 8 member Searchhead cluster with Splunk 6.5.3. After consulting the Splunk Support it turned out, that we had to use the option "mgmt_uri" instead of "server_list".
After switching the options the pending state disappeared and the cluster synched again.

This behaviour is a confirmed bug in 6.5.3. You can use either mgmt_uri or server_list according to the documentation.

you also can use both options, but you will receive this warning message:
"“It is not advised to use servers_list and mgmt_uri at same time”"

0 Karma

gburgett_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The docs describe the new last_conf_replication state field in the shcluster-status command:

"The last_conf_replication field indicates when the member last pulled a set of configurations from the captain"

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.2/DistSearch/ViewSHCstatus#Show_cluster_status

So, it makes sense that the master will not have this status field. Not sure why all of the members would be stuck in a "Pending" state after an upgrade though. Maybe there is just a lot of config information to pull down? Are you seeing any other SHC related log messages that might indicate a problem?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...