Deployment Architecture

Why do forwarders not show up in forwarder management?

pbnl
Path Finder

i installed a new splunk enterprise server and configured it as deploy server as documented here:
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.5/Updating/Aboutdeploymentserver
then i added an app in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/deployment-apps/MyApp
on the 26 forwarders running ubuntu 20.04 i ran splunk set deploy-poll MyDS:8089 but only 20 of them show up in the forwarder management.
when i remove one of them by clicking on "delete record", i can add a missing one by running splunk set deploy-poll MyDS:8089 again.
a license is installed too and it says  'DeployServer': 'ENABLED'

any ideas?
thanks...

Labels (1)
0 Karma

pbnl
Path Finder

found the stupid mistake

the not showing forwarders where restarted and splunkd wasn't configured to start on boot 😞

unfortunately 'splunk set deploy-poll MyDS:8089' does not complain about not running splunkd.
anyway, changed config and all forwarders show up...

next issue probably coming soon 😉

diogofgm
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Check if there is no connection issues from the missing UFs
You can use open ssl in CLI to test this from each UF host.

openssl s_client -connect MyDS:8089 

If everything is fine you should see the details on the cert of your DS. If not, you might have something blocking the connection

------------
Hope I was able to help you. If so, some karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

pbnl
Path Finder

that's not the problem.

connection works from all clients...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...