Deployment Architecture

Why am I intermittently getting "no results found"

CaptainHook
Communicator

Has anyone run up against an issue where you're intermittently getting a "no results found" on any search in their environment? If so, were you able to determine what was causing the issue?

As stated the issue is intermittent and to add to the complexity, I have noticed that one user may return results while another user cannot for the same search at the same time. (We are currently using SH pooling with 2 Searchheads). Nothing has been changed with the user roles prior to the issue surfacing and it has not been identified specifically to one or the other search heads.

Any thoughts and/or areas to focus on would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

0 Karma
1 Solution

CaptainHook
Communicator

We are using search head pooling and it was determined that the authorize.conf file had a variation from one search head to the other, causing contention. Once the authorize.conf was updated to match and the search head restarted the issues resolved.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

CaptainHook
Communicator

We are using search head pooling and it was determined that the authorize.conf file had a variation from one search head to the other, causing contention. Once the authorize.conf was updated to match and the search head restarted the issues resolved.

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This could be a few things:

• Users are different roles. One role has access to the index the data lives in while the other doesn't.
  • Role access definition is different between the two search heads - even if they are using same SHP, there could be system/local config that is not the same.

In both scenarios, using btool should show you the access. Run this on both search heads and look for differences in the properties srchIndexesAllowed, srchIndexesDefault, srchFilter for the role and the roles it importRoles from:

$SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk btool authorize list --debug
0 Karma

CaptainHook
Communicator

Thanks Burch. I have compared the roles for our system/local as you have suggested and I am not seeing any major discrepancies within the roles. This is something that I had looked at in the GUI beforehand and we did have a slight difference within the srchIndexesAllowed. I have updated those to match (just to keep in uniform), but the issue seems to be more than a role issue.

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Aight. Would you be able to show two examples (working and not working)? Keep the corporate stuff blurred but show the search string, time span, and job inspector heading that shows the # of results and events found as well as other errors and warnings.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...