Deployment Architecture

Why am I getting a 500 Internal Server Error immediately after logging into my external IP address on Ubuntu?

krypterro
Explorer

On a new install, I am getting a 500 Internal Server Error immediately after logging into my external IP address at port 8000 over http. Once that happens, Splunk errors out, and I can't try to log in again until I restart Splunk. But when I check ./splunk status it appears to be fine. This is on a fresh Ubuntu 16 server on a VPS. I have tried all the reasonably applicable solutions posted here with no success. Any suggestions?

0 Karma
1 Solution

krypterro
Explorer

Nevermind, forgot to restart. That fixed the problem, thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

sudosplunk
Motivator

Hi there,

Please look at splunkd.log file (located at $SPLUNK_HOME/var/log/splunk) for errors or warnings and provide some data to further assist you.

0 Karma

krypterro
Explorer

Nevermind, forgot to restart. That fixed the problem, thanks.

0 Karma

renjith_nair
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

So what was the last change you did before restart to fix the issue?

Happy Splunking!
0 Karma

renjith_nair
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Worth to check mgmtHostPort = <IP:port> in your web.conf. Normally this error happens when your web is not able to connect to splunkd.

Happy Splunking!
0 Karma

krypterro
Explorer

I changed it from: [mgmtHostPort = 127.0.0.1:8089] to the external IP address, with no change. Is there something special that must be done to access the web interface remotely as opposed to via localhost, which appears to be the default configuration?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...