Deployment Architecture

Where do I deploy scripted inputs in a Splunk 6.2.4 environment with both indexer and search head clustering?

dturner83
Path Finder

We've got a 3 indexer - 3 search head setup on 6.2.4 using indexer clustering, search head clustering, and a deployer to configure search heads.

I've got a scripted input that reaches out for data via 3rd party api and then returns that data to be indexed.

My question is where should this go? If I deploy it via deployer on the search heads, each search head indexes the data locally in it's main index. If I put it on the indexer it doesn't appear to run and doesn't put any data into an index.

1 Solution

bmacias84
Champion

I would never recommend putting script which collect data on any cluster member search or indexer. Instead I would recommend setting up a Universal or Heavy Forwarder for all third-party API or inputs from a remote machine. This will prevent accidentally index data multiple times. At this point you could use the Deployment Server.

View solution in original post

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...