Deployment Architecture
Highlighted

Where do I deploy scripted inputs in a Splunk 6.2.4 environment with both indexer and search head clustering?

Path Finder

We've got a 3 indexer - 3 search head setup on 6.2.4 using indexer clustering, search head clustering, and a deployer to configure search heads.

I've got a scripted input that reaches out for data via 3rd party api and then returns that data to be indexed.

My question is where should this go? If I deploy it via deployer on the search heads, each search head indexes the data locally in it's main index. If I put it on the indexer it doesn't appear to run and doesn't put any data into an index.

Highlighted

Re: Where do I deploy scripted inputs in a Splunk 6.2.4 environment with both indexer and search head clustering?

Motivator

Hi @dturner83
I'm a tech writer here at Splunk and I'd like to help with your question. I'm looking into this with other writers and our engineering team. I'll post an update when I find out more!

Feel free to post further questions or details here in the meantime.

Best,
@frobinson_splunk

0 Karma
Highlighted

Re: Where do I deploy scripted inputs in a Splunk 6.2.4 environment with both indexer and search head clustering?

Motivator

Hi again, @dturner83,
Can you let me know if you are using a search head cluster? This will help us get you more specific advice.

Thanks!
@frobinson_splunk

0 Karma
Highlighted

Path Finder

Yes we do use search head clustering by utilizing the deployer and clustering

0 Karma
Highlighted

Motivator

Ok, thanks! I'll pass this along and report back with some advice ASAP!

0 Karma
Highlighted

Path Finder

frobinson - Thank you for your help and input. I have to say your response times on answers.splunk.com put our Enterprise support agreement support times to shame.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Legend

It's a great community! But we will never be able to take on some of the questions that Support has to tackle - I am not on the Support team. BTW, a lot of Support folks are also top contributors on answers.splunk.com - so they are helping keep the response times low here, too!

I expect that it's really a matter of what you are willing to commit to, in writing.

Highlighted

Champion

I would never recommend putting script which collect data on any cluster member search or indexer. Instead I would recommend setting up a Universal or Heavy Forwarder for all third-party API or inputs from a remote machine. This will prevent accidentally index data multiple times. At this point you could use the Deployment Server.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Legend

True if you are going to have Splunk run the script. Of course it would be best to have a separate server to collect all the 3rd party or API inputs, using a forwarder. That's optimal, but requires yet another server. I hadn't thought of using the server that is running Deployment Server for this purpose, that's an interesting idea. Of course, I would probably have the Deployment Server, the Deployer and the License Master already running on that server...

0 Karma
Highlighted

Path Finder

bmacias84 thank you very much. This seems to be the exact strategy as of 6.2 for scripted inputs.

0 Karma
Speak Up for Splunk Careers!

We want to better understand the impact Splunk experience and expertise has has on individuals' careers, and help highlight the growing demand for Splunk skills.