Deployment Architecture

When using the deployment server, what is the difference between local and default directories?

brent_weaver
Builder

I am using the deployment server and it has been my company's practice to put inputs.conf files in local. Is this where it belongs? It would seem that local would take precedence over default and is used to very specific site logging needs? Am I way off base here? Toto, is this Kansas 🙂

Thanks!

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

The best policy is that the AUTHOR of the app puts it into default and everyone else writes into local. When you download an app from apps.splunk.com you will find that all of the author's stuff is in default and nothing is in local and when you deploy these apps from your DS, you should not modify this. Also, when you write your own proprietary apps that are for internal use only, when you put them on the DS, they should use default, not local. So the general rule is that if it is on the DS, it should be using default UNLESS you are making a modification to something that is distributed with the base Splunk distribution (e.g. '$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system//.conf); in that case you make your proprietary changes inside$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local*.confand NEVER touch anything inside anydefault` directory that came from your original installation of Splunk binaries.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...