Deployment Architecture

When increasing retention time on index in master-apps/_cluster/local/indexes.conf, why did the changes not apply to slaves?

duke_splunk_adm
Engager

I increased the retention time of an index from 30 days to 13 months on the cluster master, in
$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/master-apps/_cluster/local/indexes.conf
and applied the bundle.

Splunk shows cluster-bundle-status then showed that the bundle had been pushed, and the new retention size shows up on the cluster in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/slave-apps/_cluster/local/indexes.conf but this change did NOT get propagated to my regular indexes.conf, which we keep in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/oit-indexes/local/indexes.conf for historical reasons.

The apply-bundle command on the master did not restart the indexers, either. I tried simply offline->restart, but the information was not copied.

When I create a completely new index and run the same commands, the index shows up there as expected, but this retention expansion did not.

Do I need to edit the local indexes.conf by hand for this change? I'm not completely averse to doing so, I just want to make sure that I'm not missing something.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

I don't think the changes that you did in master-apps/cluster will go and update your indexes.conf kept in other app. For that you need to update that app in master-apps/oid-indexes... path. Please note that Within the slave-apps/[local|default] directories, the special _cluster subdirectory has a higher precedence than any app subdirectories starting with a lowercase letter (for example, anApp). However, it has a lower precedence than any apps starting with an uppercase letter (for example, AnApp). This is due to the location of the underscore ("") character in the lexicographical order. So, your changes should be applied properly (check in UI if you can or from search head using | rest /services/data/indexes search) as your custom app starts with lower case and is overridden with _cluster copy of indexes.conf.

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

@duke_splunk_admins, you can also run ./splunk btool indexes list --debug on the indexer and see the logical indexes and their sources. Something like -

$ ./splunk btool indexes list --debug | more
/opt/splunk/etc/slave-apps/_cluster/local/indexes.conf   [_audit]
/opt/splunk/etc/system/default/indexes.conf              assureUTF8 = false
/opt/splunk/etc/system/default/indexes.conf              bucketRebuildMemoryHint = auto
/opt/splunk/etc/system/default/indexes.conf              coldPath = $SPLUNK_DB/audit/colddb
/opt/splunk/etc/system/default/indexes.conf              coldPath.maxDataSizeMB = 0
/opt/splunk/etc/system/default/indexes.conf              coldToFrozenDir = 
/opt/splunk/etc/system/default/indexes.conf              coldToFrozenScript = 
/opt/splunk/etc/system/default/indexes.conf              compressRawdata = true
/opt/splunk/etc/system/default/indexes.conf              defaultDatabase = main
/opt/splunk/etc/system/default/indexes.conf              enableDataIntegrityControl = false
/opt/splunk/etc/system/default/indexes.conf              enableOnlineBucketRepair = true
/opt/splunk/etc/system/default/indexes.conf              enableRealtimeSearch = true
/opt/splunk/etc/slave-apps/_cluster/local/indexes.conf   enableTsidxReduction = true
0 Karma

duke_splunk_adm
Engager

Perfect, that is exactly what I needed.

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

Great - you can easily see the index set-up and from where the configuration parameters came from - most useful ; -)

0 Karma

adonio
Ultra Champion

hello duke_splunk_admins,
when pushing from /etc/master-apps/ the apps (folders) lands in /etc/slave-apps/ on the Slave Indexer.
look for your configuration in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/slave-apps/_cluster/local/indexes.conf
read more about Indexer clustering here:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.3/Indexer/Updatepeerconfigurations
also slave-apps takes precedence in file hierarchy so configurations should apply regardless. here is the order:
1. Slave-apps local directory
2. System local directory
3. Apps local directory
4. Slave apps default
5. apps default
6. system default

hope it helps

duke_splunk_adm
Engager

I appreciate the hierarchy, thanks.

I do find it odd that adding a new index changes the app local indexes.conf but changing the retention doesn't. Maybe it will update the next time I add a new index.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...