Deployment Architecture

What will cause AIX get core dump when Splunk Light Weight Forwarder restarts?

zliu
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Sometimes when restart the Splunk Light Forwarder, user will experience a core dump. The forwarder still restarts and functions properly, but the core dump will fill up user's root filesystem.

The problem isn't limited to one host; it happens on several hosts, but all are running AIX 5.3-09.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You might check aix's error logs (use the errpt command) - usually a core dump is logged there, with as much information as AIX can figure out.

Often, figuring this kind of thing out would mean having to have:

• a copy of the binary that hasn't been stripped
  • the source code
  • an AIX machine at the exact same level of libc and kernel
  • the 'full' core file (run "chdev -l sys0 -a fullcore=true") and reboot

In other words, you'll probably need to engage Splunk support.

You might do as well to just disable corefiles for splunk. The only way (for sure) that I know how to do it would be to move $SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk to $SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk_real and make a shell script to replace the splunk binary, something like:

#!/bin/ksh
ulimit -c 0  #disable core dumps
exec splunk_real $0

View solution in original post

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You might check aix's error logs (use the errpt command) - usually a core dump is logged there, with as much information as AIX can figure out.

Often, figuring this kind of thing out would mean having to have:

• a copy of the binary that hasn't been stripped
  • the source code
  • an AIX machine at the exact same level of libc and kernel
  • the 'full' core file (run "chdev -l sys0 -a fullcore=true") and reboot

In other words, you'll probably need to engage Splunk support.

You might do as well to just disable corefiles for splunk. The only way (for sure) that I know how to do it would be to move $SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk to $SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk_real and make a shell script to replace the splunk binary, something like:

#!/bin/ksh
ulimit -c 0  #disable core dumps
exec splunk_real $0

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

no, it would not disable core drumps for all root processes. Again, I would strongly suggest getting Splunk support involved if you are getting core dumps regularly. My suggestion above was intended to be a temporary workaround to supress corefiles until Splunk support could figure out the root cause and fix it.

0 Karma

zliu
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

will this script disable core dumps for all root processes?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...