Deployment Architecture

What is the recommended replication factor configuration for a multisite indexer cluster with different numbers of indexers in different sites?

gduggan1
Path Finder

I have a multisite indexer clustering environment with 2 Indexers in Site1 and 1 Indexer in Site2. What is the recommended Replication factor configuration with different numbers of indexers in different sites? Everything I have read is based on an equal number of indexers in each site.

1 Solution

esix_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

So this scenario is a little unique, but not uncommon. This kind of scenario is typically trying to fulfill a DR scenario where having one Indexer at a different site will cover the DR case where site1 disappears..

Here we are assuming that we need to have RF/SF of 3..

available_sites=site1,site2
site_replication_factor=origin:1,site1:2,site2:1,total:3
site_search_factor=origin:1,site1:2,site2:1,total:3

There is an issue with this though, that having a RF/SF 3:3 does use more disk space then say a RF/SF 3:2. See docs @ : http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.1/Indexer/Sitereplicationfactor

View solution in original post

esix_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

So this scenario is a little unique, but not uncommon. This kind of scenario is typically trying to fulfill a DR scenario where having one Indexer at a different site will cover the DR case where site1 disappears..

Here we are assuming that we need to have RF/SF of 3..

available_sites=site1,site2
site_replication_factor=origin:1,site1:2,site2:1,total:3
site_search_factor=origin:1,site1:2,site2:1,total:3

There is an issue with this though, that having a RF/SF 3:3 does use more disk space then say a RF/SF 3:2. See docs @ : http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.1/Indexer/Sitereplicationfactor

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...