Deployment Architecture

What is the best way to remove local config in a search head cluster?

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Scenario:
Anyone using a SHC (Search Head Cluster) implements apps from the Deployer. The deployer collapses the local and default config directories into default and pushes the config to the SHC members.

After normal usage, some of the knowledge objects in the app have evolved (like a savedsearch or a macro has been modified).

Eventually a new version of the app comes out and it has a butt kickin' nice new version of that very knowledge object. So, I stage the new version of the app on the deployer and push it out.

Unfortunately, the local folder edit of the knowledge object still takes precedent and the sweet new version (sitting in the default directory on the SHC members) is ignored.

How do we eliminate our version of the config and revert back to the one in the local directory?

Since we can't delete the edited version of the knowledge object from the UI, and we can't manually edit the conf file, what is the recommended way to address this?

More detail:
If you use the Deployer to send the splunk_app_aws to your Search Head Cluster you'll then have a bunch of cool knowledge objects that you can edit. Let's pretend I want to edit aws-accesslog-sourcetype(1) to adjust it for my environment. Before the edit, this config lives ONLY in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/splunk_app_aws/default/macros.conf on the Search Head Cluster Members. I make the my change in the UI and the result is this:
alt text
Notice my new definition of blah but no way to delete or revert back. There is now a corresponding version of this macro on the Search Head Cluster Members in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/splunk_app_aws/local/macros.conf defined as blah.

Now let's pretend that after some time, I want to remove my change and go back to the version provided in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/splunk_app_aws/default/macros.conf - with a single search head OR a search head pool, I can simply remove the corresponding stanza in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/splunk_app_aws/local/macros.conf with a text editor and restart the instance thereby allowing the version in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/splunk_app_aws/default/macros.conf to take affect.

Unfortunately, you cannot make manual edits to configuration in a Search Head Cluster. So is there a parallel way to remove your $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/splunk_app_aws/local/macros.conf version in a Search Head Cluster?

Labels (1)

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Nah, you can't delete from the UI. For example, you can edit a macro that comes from the AWS app and the UI doesn't provide a way to delete your edit to revert back to the default version.

Setting a value to blank in the UI would leave an entry in the conf file but with no value - effectively unsetting the parameter. This would still override the version in default with a value of nothing.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...