Deployment Architecture

What is the best way to recreate and deploy an app with a custom navigation bar from a 5.0.7 search head in a 6.3.3 search head cluster?

jhedgpeth
Path Finder

We currently have a standalone search head (5.0.7) with customization to the nav bar ( etc/apps/search/local/data/ui/nav/default.xml ) to help users quickly access searches and dashboards.

We are building a new search head CLUSTER (6.3.3), and I do not know how to recreate this when using the deployer for the cluster. It seems it would be a simple matter of deploying the default search app with our tweaks, but the docs specifically say not to deploy default apps like search.

Manually copying the file into the search app on all the cluster nodes seems backwards and would be annoying to keep up to date.

What's the best way to solve this?

0 Karma
1 Solution

Raghav2384
Motivator

Hello,

Navigation changes are propagated automatically in a search head cluster. I have deployed all the content i need and then i made changes to the Search app navigation on one Search head and it is reflected on all the other SHC members.

When you say manually copying file to each SHC, are you talking about js, css or simple XML tree menu bar (User Interface/Navigation/default)?

Hope this helps

Thanks,
Raghav

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Raghav2384
Motivator

Hello,

Navigation changes are propagated automatically in a search head cluster. I have deployed all the content i need and then i made changes to the Search app navigation on one Search head and it is reflected on all the other SHC members.

When you say manually copying file to each SHC, are you talking about js, css or simple XML tree menu bar (User Interface/Navigation/default)?

Hope this helps

Thanks,
Raghav

0 Karma

jhedgpeth
Path Finder

thanks, it makes sense when you describe it like that. I updated the default.xml for search on a member and did a refresh, and it propogated to the other members. I'm a little disappointed that I can't manage this from the deployer like all the other configs, but whatever works.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...