Deployment Architecture

What is the best way to figure out if a configuration change will require a splunk restart?

muebel
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If I make a change to a view in an app, I can activate that change by reloading the app. If I make a change to the savesearch.conf at the system level, it requires a splunk restart before the change takes effect.

Is there a simple and short way of knowing when a configuration change will go into effect? On reload of a view? On reload of server? etc?

1 Solution

Chris_R_
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The rule of thumb we go by is usually anything that affects indexing level changes require a splunk restart, while search level changes require a reload. Here's a good guideline on how to determine which is which.
http://www.splunk.com/base/Documentation/latest/admin/Indextimeversussearchtime

So index creation or settings modifications, props.conf timestamp extractions, or transforms.conf indexed field modifications as well as most .conf manual changes will require a restart.

If you make changes with $SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk CLI changes or within the UI, it wont require a restart.(unless of course you get prompted for a restart)

View solution in original post

Chris_R_
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The rule of thumb we go by is usually anything that affects indexing level changes require a splunk restart, while search level changes require a reload. Here's a good guideline on how to determine which is which.
http://www.splunk.com/base/Documentation/latest/admin/Indextimeversussearchtime

So index creation or settings modifications, props.conf timestamp extractions, or transforms.conf indexed field modifications as well as most .conf manual changes will require a restart.

If you make changes with $SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk CLI changes or within the UI, it wont require a restart.(unless of course you get prompted for a restart)

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...