Deployment Architecture

What is the best way to figure out if a configuration change will require a splunk restart?

muebel
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If I make a change to a view in an app, I can activate that change by reloading the app. If I make a change to the savesearch.conf at the system level, it requires a splunk restart before the change takes effect.

Is there a simple and short way of knowing when a configuration change will go into effect? On reload of a view? On reload of server? etc?

1 Solution

Chris_R_
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The rule of thumb we go by is usually anything that affects indexing level changes require a splunk restart, while search level changes require a reload. Here's a good guideline on how to determine which is which.
http://www.splunk.com/base/Documentation/latest/admin/Indextimeversussearchtime

So index creation or settings modifications, props.conf timestamp extractions, or transforms.conf indexed field modifications as well as most .conf manual changes will require a restart.

If you make changes with $SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk CLI changes or within the UI, it wont require a restart.(unless of course you get prompted for a restart)

View solution in original post

Chris_R_
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The rule of thumb we go by is usually anything that affects indexing level changes require a splunk restart, while search level changes require a reload. Here's a good guideline on how to determine which is which.
http://www.splunk.com/base/Documentation/latest/admin/Indextimeversussearchtime

So index creation or settings modifications, props.conf timestamp extractions, or transforms.conf indexed field modifications as well as most .conf manual changes will require a restart.

If you make changes with $SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk CLI changes or within the UI, it wont require a restart.(unless of course you get prompted for a restart)

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...