Deployment Architecture

What is the best way to add deployment apps without file system access?

laserval
Communicator

I have a Windows installation of Splunk where I do not have access to the file system, and likely will not have that (corporate IT is reluctant to give out such access).

I need to configure a number of forwarders, and want to avoid any need to access those machines (same lack of access applies there), so I have planned to use deployment server and clients.

I realize now, however, that the UI doesn't permit uploading apps to be deployed, but requires the apps to be added directly in the file system.

What would be the best way to approach this; can I use some other functionality in Splunk to add the apps I want to the deployment-apps directory? Could I write a script that moves or copies an app from /etc/apps to /etc/deployment-apps?

0 Karma
1 Solution

MartinMcNutt
Communicator

If you are the application owner then you need to tell the IT admins to create a Windows Share to root Splunk directory or two shares that point to Etc/Apps & /etc/Deployment-apps.

Once that is done you can access the share using \servername\sharename. you can copy / delete / move as needed without extra rights.

This is about your only options unless they have some sort of check-in / check-out system for you to manage your folders.

View solution in original post

bmacias84
Champion

Consider using a drop box (file share) with an rsync process to move the files. Also have corporate IT create a network share of the deployment directory on the deployment server giving you or your group access. However this does not get around the issue of having to run **./splunk reload deploy-server.

0 Karma

MartinMcNutt
Communicator

If you are the application owner then you need to tell the IT admins to create a Windows Share to root Splunk directory or two shares that point to Etc/Apps & /etc/Deployment-apps.

Once that is done you can access the share using \servername\sharename. you can copy / delete / move as needed without extra rights.

This is about your only options unless they have some sort of check-in / check-out system for you to manage your folders.

laserval
Communicator

This sounds like a good idea, and I suggested it. However, we managed to resolve the problem by side-stepping IT processes and getting an admin to create an account for us. I'll make sure to keep this solution in mind though.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...