Deployment Architecture

What does -# mean at the end of my frozen buckets?

sniderwj
Explorer

I am working on a script to thaw frozen buckets. Part of my script is to validate that the selected buckets are valid. We have an index cluster that currently just freeze to a shared path.

I run /opt/splunk/bin/splunk check-integrity -bucketPath /some/path/to/bucket to validate the buckets.

I noticed that some of my buckets have a trailing digit at the end. They look like rb_12345678_12345678_1234_GUID-0. There are others that run up to -3

When the check-integrity command runs it reports:
Constraints given leave no buckets to operate on

If I rename that bucket (in a different path) to remove the -0 I get a valid bucket response:
Total buckets checked=1, succeeded=1, failed=0

I do not see -0 directories in my warm or cold directories.

I'm guessing that since we are freezing to a shared path that Splunk is appending a -digit to the end of the frozen bucket name as not to overwrite something that is already there. This would make me believe that I could ignore the -# buckets IF I have a corresponding bucket that does not have the extra -#. I would also want to eventually purge the extra buckets. If I'm missing a normally named bucket should I move to rename one -# bucket to make it a "real" bucket?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...