Deployment Architecture

What are ideal role placements for Deployer, Deployment Server, & Distributed Management Console in our multisite indexer & search head clustering environment?

nychawk
Communicator

I've recently created a new multisite indexer and search head cluster topology, using separate VM''s for my license server and cluster master. I have an additional VM which I am going to use for one, or all of the following roles:

Deployer
Deployment Server
DMC

I am considering one of two options:

Option A:

Place all three (Deployer, Deployment Server & DMC) onto my remaining VM.

Option B:
Place my Deployment Server on my Cluster Master
Place my Deployer on my License Master
Place my DMC by itself on the new VM

I should point out that my Cluster Master serves as Indexer Cluster Master, as well as Search Head Cluster Master (not even sure if these can be separate)

Any thoughts suggestions?

Thank you in advance,

-mi

0 Karma

ykou_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Both options should work fine. Here's the reference doc: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.3.1/DMC/WheretohostDMC

Two things to note though:

• DMC instance is required to be a search head of the indexer cluster, which means in either Option A or Option B, you need to convert DMC instance to a search head by clicking "Settings -> indexer cluster", then enable indexer cluster and choose role as search head node, point this instance to the indexer cluster master.
  • DMC instance is required to NOT be a search head cluster member. Actually DMC will be disabled on search head cluster members. So in your case, the DMC instance will be part of the indexer cluster but cannot be part of the search head cluster.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...