Deployment Architecture

We need to upgrade the hardware on our Cluster Master. What is the best approach for downtime for this upgrade?

mlevsh
Builder

Our Splunk Cluster Master is under resourced. To match Splunk support's recommendations we need to add CPU and RAM to it. We have 8 indexers on an indexer cluster. This upgrade will require about 30 minutes of downtime of our cluster master server.
What's the best approach for a cluster master hardware upgrade?

0 Karma
1 Solution

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Put the cluster in maintenance mode, stop the cluster master, shut down the cluster master, perform the upgrade, restart the cluster master, restart splunk (note splunk may be set to auto start), exiting maintenance mode occurs automatically with restarts.

Maintenance mode does not persist across master restarts.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.2/Indexer/Usemaintenancemode

View solution in original post

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Put the cluster in maintenance mode, stop the cluster master, shut down the cluster master, perform the upgrade, restart the cluster master, restart splunk (note splunk may be set to auto start), exiting maintenance mode occurs automatically with restarts.

Maintenance mode does not persist across master restarts.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.2/Indexer/Usemaintenancemode

mlevsh
Builder

@jkat54 , thank you for a quick reply!

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You're welcome!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...