Deployment Architecture

Warm buckets not reaching their MaxDataSize before rolling

romantercero
Path Finder

Hi,

My main index is stored in two locations depending on whether its a cold bucket or a hot/warm bucket. I set aside 400 GB of fast storage for the hot/warm buckets so with a maxDataSize of 10GB (auto_high_volume) plus 10 hot buckets I should set maxWarmDBCount to 30 right?

(30 warm buckets * 10GB) + (10 hot buckets * 10GB) = 400GB

The problem is that hot buckets are not reaching their 10GB limit so I end up having 30 warm buckets varying in size and consequently the 400GB are really never completely used up and is only half full with many 5GB buckets.

How can I make sure that buckets don't get rolled over until they reach the MaxDataSize limit?

Thanks!

0 Karma

romantercero
Path Finder

I found that additional info regarding the rolling over of warm and hot buckets can be gleaned from splunkd.log after turning on debug mode.

0 Karma

bfernandez
Communicator

Take a look maybe I can help you to verify your indexes.conf
http://wiki.splunk.com/Deploy:BucketRotationAndRetention

dart
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi,

The best approach is to specify a size for warm, and have a max bucket count in excess of what you would expect, so that the volume limit takes effect.

You can do this in two ways:

• Set the homePath.maxDataSizeMB for the index

homePath.maxDataSizeMB =
    * Limits the size of the hot/warm DB to the maximum specified size, in MB.
    * If this size is exceeded, Splunk will move buckets with the oldest value of latest time (for a given bucket)
    into the cold DB until the DB is below the maximum size.
    * If this attribute is missing or set to 0, Splunk will not constrain size of the hot/warm DB.
    * Defaults to 0.

• Set up a volume, and use that for hot.

# volume definitions; prefixed with "volume:"

[volume:hot1]

path = /mnt/fast_disk
    maxVolumeDataSizeMB = 100000

[volume:cold1]

path = /mnt/big_disk

# maxVolumeDataSizeMB not specified: no data size limitation on top of the existing ones

[volume:cold2]

path = /mnt/big_disk2

maxVolumeDataSizeMB = 1000000

# index definitions

[idx1]

homePath = volume:hot1/idx1

coldPath = volume:cold1/idx1

Buckets are not guaranteed to reach their maximum size; they can roll over 'early' for a number of reasons. I'd slightly prefer the second option, as it's easier if you have multiple indexes.

Duncan

bfernandez
Communicator

for example a server reboot (indexer)

0 Karma

romantercero
Path Finder

Yeah, its what I ended up doing. Do you know what reasons are the ones that make a bucket roll over early?

Thanks!

0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

This may not apply to you at all, and perhaps you know it already, but all hot buckets roll to warm when Splunk is restarted. /k

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...