Deployment Architecture

Various Manager pages fail to render, shows error "Mako failed to render" after upgrading to 6.1

a212830
Champion

Hi,

I updated my dev server to 6.1 and when I try to access my search peers, I get the following error:

2014-05-06 09:23:48,489 ERROR [5368e263cf1c461fd0] init:281 - Mako failed to render:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/apps/splunk/lib/python2.7/site-packages/splunk/appserver/mrsparkle/controllers/init.py", line 277, in render_template
return templateInstance.render(*template_args)
File "/apps/splunk/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mako/template.py", line 283, in render
return runtime.render(self, self.callable, args, data)
File "/apps/splunk/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mako/runtime.py", line 575, in _render
kwargs_for_callable(callable, data))
File "/apps/splunk/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mako/runtime.py", line 607, in render_context
_exec_template(inherit, lclcontext, args=args, kwargs=kwargs)
File "/apps/splunk/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mako/runtime.py", line 633, in _exec_template
callable
(context, args, **kwargs)
File "/apps/splunk/share/splunk/search_mrsparkle/templates/layout/base.html", line 18, in render_body
<%self:render/>
File "/apps/splunk/share/splunk/search_mrsparkle/templates/layout/base.html", line 33, in render_render
## define main HTML wrapper
File "/apps/splunk/share/splunk/search_mrsparkle/templates/layout/base.html", line 93, in render_pagedoc
<%next:body/>
File "/apps/splunk/share/splunk/search_mrsparkle/templates/layout/view.html", line 22, in render_body
${next.body()}
File "/apps/splunk/share/splunk/search_mrsparkle/templates/layout/admin.html", line 15, in render_body
${next.body()}
File "/apps/splunk/share/splunk/search_mrsparkle/templates/admin/index.html", line 96, in render_body
% endif
File "/apps/splunk/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mako/runtime.py", line 502, in include_file
callable
(ctx, *
kwargs_for_include(callable, context.orig, *kwargs))
File "/apps/splunk/share/splunk/search_mrsparkle/templates/admin/list.html", line 332, in render_body
<%call expr="genListRows(namespace, uiHelper, entities, endpoint_path, kwargs)"/>
File "/apps/splunk/share/splunk/search_mrsparkle/templates/admin/_helpers.html", line 738, in render_genListRows
% if role == '
' or role in auth.listUsers()[auth.getCurrentUser()['name']]['roles']:
File "/apps/splunk/lib/python2.7/UserDict.py", line 23, in __getitem
_
raise KeyError(key)
KeyError: u'admin'

1 Solution

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

UPDATE: Maintenance release 6.1.1 has been made available to resolve this issue. If you are experiencing this problem, please update to Splunk Enterprise 6.1.1.

This has been identified as bug SPL-83852 and is likely to be fixed in an accelerated maintenance release for Splunk 6.1.

In the meantime, if you are experiencing this issue on Splunk Enterprise 6.1 you can take the following steps to work around it:

• Stop Splunk Web
    $SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk stop splunkweb

• Replace $SPLUNK_HOME/share/splunk/search_mrsparkle/templates/admin/_helpers.html with the patched _helpers.html file.

• Start Splunk Web
    $SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk start splunkweb

View solution in original post

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

UPDATE: Maintenance release 6.1.1 has been made available to resolve this issue. If you are experiencing this problem, please update to Splunk Enterprise 6.1.1.

This has been identified as bug SPL-83852 and is likely to be fixed in an accelerated maintenance release for Splunk 6.1.

In the meantime, if you are experiencing this issue on Splunk Enterprise 6.1 you can take the following steps to work around it:

• Stop Splunk Web
    $SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk stop splunkweb

• Replace $SPLUNK_HOME/share/splunk/search_mrsparkle/templates/admin/_helpers.html with the patched _helpers.html file.

• Start Splunk Web
    $SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk start splunkweb

skuma30

Hi,

I'm getting the same error in the 6.2.1 version should I follow the same procedure for the 6.1??

0 Karma

fvo
Explorer

Thanks guys, works great!

0 Karma

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Not a re-release, but an accelerated 6.1.1 maintenance release to fix this issue is in the works.

skuma30

Hi Hexx,

I'm getting in the automatic lookups page when I add a new and running in the 6.2.1 version.
Can this works in this version as well.

0 Karma

linu1988
Champion

are we expecting a 6.1 re-release with the fix embedded? we want to move to the awesome 6.1 as soon as possible 🙂

0 Karma

Ellen
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

6.0.4 has been re-released with this fix.
You will want to download 6.0.4 build 207768

0 Karma

tmeader
Contributor

Will this same fix work for the similar errors being seen in the 6.0.4 release that was put out and then pulled back yesterday? Was told by support that they were working on a fix, but not being able to access virtually any Settings page is getting to be a major hassle.

0 Karma

dmaislin_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Works perfectly! Great job team Splunk!

sylim_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The solution worked for the case as well.

Getting this error when I try to access some Data inputs pages in UI. For example "Files and directories", "TCP", "Local performance monitoring"

An error occurred while rendering the page template. See web_service.log for more details

Clicking the link to search on the error returns no results.

cjberg
Explorer

I got this patch through Splunk Support and have already verified that it works as expected on my installation. Great work!

a212830
Champion

I did. Thanks for the help.

0 Karma

piebob
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Splunk Support/Sustaining Engineering is looking into this issue. if you are experiencing this issue, please do as Brian suggests above and file a support case. thank you!

bosburn_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

All -
If you have enterprise support, can you please open a support case and create a diag ( see information here - http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.1/Troubleshooting/Generateadiag ) and email bosburn@splunk.com the ticket number?

Brian

cjberg
Explorer

I'm also experiencing this error, but on a single RHEL server installation. I upgraded from Splunk Enterprise 6.0.2 to 6.1.0 without seeing any error messages. It seems to me that there might be something related to the admin account I’m using, since it crashes when looking up role information.

0 Karma

dshpritz
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm seeing the same thing, but not just on the macro page, but many of the pages in manager.

a212830
Champion

Looks like the search-head is having issues communicating with the search-peers...

a212830
Champion

This was just an upgrade of the search-head. Nothing else was touched. I stopped the search-head, untarred the file and restarted the splunkd process - this is on OEL Linux 6.X.

0 Karma

evalente
Explorer

I am running index/search head on one box and running on Windows. Seeing Search Peer Error when searching anything, but indexes seems to be incrementing fine.

0 Karma

bosburn_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Can you elaborate on the steps you took to upgrade? Did you upgrade the search heads first or the indexers? Did you restart after upgrading?

What OS are you running it on?

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...