Deployment Architecture

Username of person who restarted splunk

ayushmaan
Explorer

Hi everyone,
I need to know the last activity of the command splunk restart. Is there a way I can find the username of the person correspondingly running the command?

0 Karma

PavelP
Motivator

if on linux - additionally you can try to correlate the output of the "last" command, which lists all linux users with corresponed login and logout times, with the time when the "./splunk restart" command was issues. That will not work if you have several simultaniously logged users. I think you need TA_nix Addon to get this info.

On Windows you need to check security log to get similar information (using Addon for Windows)

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @ayushmaan,
you can find the Splunk restart via GUI in _internal using a simple search like this:

index=_internal  restart

result will be something like this where admin is the user that launched the command:

127.0.0.1 - admin [23/Mar/2020:13:54:43.703 +0100] "GET /services/messages/restart_required HTTP/1.0" 404 159 - - - 1ms

For the restart via CLI, the only way is to read the history files on Linux and search for the command

./splunk restart

Ciao.
Giuseppe

ayushmaan
Explorer

Hey,
Thanks for the quick response but does this tell us the info of the user who used the command "./splunk restart"? That is the main ask.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @ayushmaan,
To have the user that used the CLI command, you have to take the Linux logs of history.
If you see in the Splunk_TA_nix App there's in input.conf the configuration to take these logs and to see the user that executed:

### bash history
[monitor:///root/.bash_history]
disabled = 0
sourcetype = bash_history
index = os

[monitor:///home/.../.bash_history]
disabled = 0
sourcetype = bash_history
index = os

The folder before .bash_history is the username of the user that launched the CLI command.

Ciao.
Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...