Deployment Architecture

Upgrading Distributed Environments Without Data Loss

act_waltersj
Engager

I'm taking over Splunk admin duties from a co-worker that has left the company.  We have a distributed environment setup of two heavy forwarders and four index servers all running  Splunk Enterprise 7.3.  I'm fleshing out our upgrade task list for moving to 8.1.2.  What is the best way to manage the upgrade across all servers, and do I need to take any special steps to prevent loss of logs?  I have the task for the install itself, I need a game plan for how to do it across the 6 servers.  Will upgrading each server - one at a time, have it back up and running before I move to the next server - prevent log/data loss, or is it better practice to do all 6 servers at once (take them all down, upgrade them all, the bring them all back online).  Looking at the compatibility matrix the I should be able to do all the indexers first and have the heavy forwarders still be compatible.  Any advice on how to manage this is greatly appreciated.

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @act_waltersj,

only two questions:

• have you clustered or not clustered Indexers?
  • have you Search Heads?

Anyway, the upgrade order is the following:

• Master Node (if clustered Indexers);
  • Search Heads;
  • Indexers;
  • Heavy Forwarders:
  • Universal Forwarders.

If you have an Indexer Cluster, you can perform a rolling upgrade so you don't loose any data.

If you don't have an Indexer Cluster, you have to upgrade indexers only one a time.

You must put the same attention to Heavy Forwarders: upgrade only one a time.

Check the version of your Universal Forwarders to verify the compatibility with Indexers 8.1.2.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

act_waltersj
Engager

Thanks for the information, Giuseppe.  We do not have clustered indexers but we do have one primary search head.  I've checked compatibility on the forwarders, so it appears one at a time, indexers then forwards is the way to go.  Thank you!

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @act_waltersj,

only two questions:

• have you clustered or not clustered Indexers?
  • have you Search Heads?

Anyway, the upgrade order is the following:

• Master Node (if clustered Indexers);
  • Search Heads;
  • Indexers;
  • Heavy Forwarders:
  • Universal Forwarders.

If you have an Indexer Cluster, you can perform a rolling upgrade so you don't loose any data.

If you don't have an Indexer Cluster, you have to upgrade indexers only one a time.

You must put the same attention to Heavy Forwarders: upgrade only one a time.

Check the version of your Universal Forwarders to verify the compatibility with Indexers 8.1.2.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...