Deployment Architecture

Upgrade of a Search Head Cluster (v6.4.2 > 7.0.0) - Can I do a rolling upgrade?

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi at all,
I have to upgrade a Search Head Cluster from version 6.4.2 to 7.0.0 and I have a doubt:
in https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.0.0/DistSearch/UpgradeaSHC there's written:

Starting with version 6.5, you can perform a rolling upgrade. This allows the cluster to continue operating during the upgrade. To use the rolling upgrade process, you must be upgrading from version 6.4 or later.

It's not so clear for me if I can perform a rolling upgrade from 6.4.2 to 7.0.0 or I must before upgrade from 6.4.2 to 6.5 (not rolling upgrade) and after I can perform the rolling upgrade to 7.0.0.

Anyone has already performed this upgrade?

bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma
1 Solution

Steve_G_
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The documentation states that you can perform a rolling upgrade, as long as you are upgrading from version 6.4 or later.

So, yes, you can perform a rolling upgrade from 6.4.2 to 7.0.0.

View solution in original post

Steve_G_
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The documentation states that you can perform a rolling upgrade, as long as you are upgrading from version 6.4 or later.

So, yes, you can perform a rolling upgrade from 6.4.2 to 7.0.0.

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Why it's written before starting 6.5 and then 6.4?
Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

Steve_G_
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

It means that you can do a rolling upgrade if you are upgrading to 6.5 or later. What it's saying, in total, is that there are two conditions necessary for performing a rolling upgrade:

• You must be upgrading from 6.4 or later.
  • You must be upgrading to 6.5 or later.

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Thank you.
Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...