Deployment Architecture

Universal Forwarder is slow to manage large files

tomk1
Engager

Hello,
I use an Universal Forwarder to monitor syslog-ng logs. The logs are splited in 24 logs for one day (so 1 log per hour). Each size of the log is between 300 and 600 MB, the log are sent with 5 hours of lag but they should be forwarded to index over time. The problem is the Universal Forwarder is very slow to send these logs. I quickly have behind (I receive mor log than I send). I cutomised my configuration thanks to this article : https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.3.0/Troubleshooting/Troubleshootingeventsindexingdela...

I put the limits.conf in my app package like that :

[thruput]
maxKBps = 4096

server.conf :

[queue=parsingQueue]
maxSize = 10MB

I use Splunk Universal Forwarder 7.0.8, I don't have control of indexer (But please, not that is the thruput which can't be improved and I am pretty sure that the problem is not the indexer)
I use it but the problem was already here before enable it.
I also tryied with 1, 2 and 10 pipeline and the problem persists. The thruput is capped at the equivalent of 512 KBPS. I don't have any idea about the cause of the problem,I read a lot of forum and documentation but nothing solve it. How can I investigate on the problem (my UF is running under RedHat 7). Thanks.

Thanks.

verbal_666
Builder

Hi.

I also have a large size files on some servers, about 10Gb per day in 3 files each server, and those files during the day are very delayed to be ingested, with ACK to true.

While those files delay from 1 to also 4 hours to be indexed, other files on same servers are ingested fine in realtime.

So, also with UF 8.2.12, i think it's a thruput of Network Infrastructure, or maybe too many datas from those inputs 🤷‍♂️

I also have

[thruput]
maxKBps = 0

[general]
parallelIngestionPipelines = 2
[queue]
maxSize = 100MB
[queue=parsingQueue]
maxSize = 10MB

I don't think there are other methods, since it's a phisiological problem 🤷‍♂️

The only way, maybe, is to add more Indexers in SPLUNK Infra or ask the Applicative Teams to split those file in more servers 🤷‍♂️

0 Karma

dhanasekvi
Engager

I have the same problem too. 
Is there any solution identified ?

0 Karma

akshatj2
Path Finder

were you able to find a solution for this? how did you improve performance for your UF

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...