Deployment Architecture

Ultimate Hostname from GUID

gabriel_vasseur
Contributor

This has been asked before but the solutions I have seen are only for indexers. The best one I've seen is:

| rest /services/cluster/config 
| fields splunk_server guid

But like I said this is only for indexers.

I want something for search heads.

Also, why not also include the cluster master, license manager, deployment server, search head deployer, and all the data forwarders, that would be quite useful.

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

A REST request to a cluster endpoint is valid only for cluster members (indexers).  To get GUIDs for other instance types you must send different requests.

For forwarders, try sending /services/deployment/server/clients to the Deployment Server.

For most other instances, try sending  /services/search/distributed/peers to the Monitoring Console..

You can send  /services/server/info to any instance to get that instance's GUID.

Each Splunk server logs its GUID to splunkd.log at startup.  If your internal logs go back far enough then you can fetch a list of GUIDs with a search something like this

index=_internal sourcetype=splunkd log_level=INFO component=ServerConfig "- My GUID is "
| dedup host
| rex "My GUID is (?<GUID>.*)"
| table host GUID

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

A REST request to a cluster endpoint is valid only for cluster members (indexers).  To get GUIDs for other instance types you must send different requests.

For forwarders, try sending /services/deployment/server/clients to the Deployment Server.

For most other instances, try sending  /services/search/distributed/peers to the Monitoring Console..

You can send  /services/server/info to any instance to get that instance's GUID.

Each Splunk server logs its GUID to splunkd.log at startup.  If your internal logs go back far enough then you can fetch a list of GUIDs with a search something like this

index=_internal sourcetype=splunkd log_level=INFO component=ServerConfig "- My GUID is "
| dedup host
| rex "My GUID is (?<GUID>.*)"
| table host GUID

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...