Deployment Architecture

Is there a way to get an alert when (at the time of)  a UF is considered missing?

X_Kinkead
Explorer

Hello,

Is there a way to get an alert when (at the time of)  a UF is considered missing?  I don't mean a report of all missing UFs over all time, but when one of them goes offline recently?

In the Cloud Monitoring Console app, I see there is a screen for Forwarders:Deployment, so I copied the query for the Status & Configuration table with the hopes that might be a good jumping off point - here is my query:

| inputlookup sim_forwarder_assets
            | makemv delim=" " avg_tcp_kbps_sparkline
            | `sim_rename_forwarder_type(forwarder_type)` | search NOT [| inputlookup sim_assets | dedup serverName | rename serverName as hostname | fields hostname]
                        | `sim_time_format(last_connected)`
                        | fields hostname, forwarder_type, version, os, arch, status, last_connected
                        | search hostname="***"
                        | search status="*"
						| search last_connected < -20m@s
                        | rename hostname as host, forwarder_type as Type, version as Version, os as OS, arch as Architecture, status as Status, last_connected as "Last Connected to Indexers"

As I understand it the UF status is set to 'missing' after 15 minutes of inactivity. The above search is run in a short window of say the last 30 minutes.  

Is there perhaps a more direct way to get what I need?  Else is there a way to get the above to work?

Thanks for any advice!  

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

X_Kinkead
Explorer

Thanks - I ended up using this query:

| metadata type=hosts index=* 
| eval latestEventSeen=strftime(lastTime,"%x %X") 
| eval age_in_minutes=round((now()-lastTime)/60,0)
| search age_in_minutes > 5 
| search host="*"
| fields host latestEventSeen age_in_minutes

It seems to work as expected, after the throttling was configured.  

View solution in original post

0 Karma

X_Kinkead
Explorer

Thanks - I ended up using this query:

| metadata type=hosts index=* 
| eval latestEventSeen=strftime(lastTime,"%x %X") 
| eval age_in_minutes=round((now()-lastTime)/60,0)
| search age_in_minutes > 5 
| search host="*"
| fields host latestEventSeen age_in_minutes

It seems to work as expected, after the throttling was configured.  

0 Karma

sekhar463
Path Finder

hai all, 

is any solution or how to create an alert for missing UF 

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The solution to the OP's problem is within the green box.  If that doesn't solve your problem then submit a new question with details about your particular problem.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What doesn't work with the query you have?

Have you considered monitoring _internal for log messages from your UFs and triggering an alert when the count falls below a certain level?

Finding something that is not there is not Splunk's strong suit.  See this blog entry for a good write-up on it.

https://www.duanewaddle.com/proving-a-negative/

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...