Deployment Architecture

Trying to change licensing master <> slave

pil321
Communicator

I'm trying to change the license master association. I want my current master to become the slave, and vice versa. There are no clusters set up...just two Splunk indexers on the same license pool. When I try to do this from the WebUI on the current master, I'm getting this error message:

Signature mismatch between license slave=splunk-master-server and this license master. Please make sure that the pass4SymmKey setting in server.conf, under [general], is the same for the license master and all its slaves...

I don't ever remember setting this password...so I started doing some searching and I found this.

When I reset the pass4SymmKey passwords on both servers, I still get the same error message.

Any ideas?

0 Karma
1 Solution

adonio
Ultra Champion

try first to go to the instance that is the slave, navigate to settings -> licensing -> click change to master on top. or change license group and set as its own master.
add the license key file and set the slave as master.
restart splunk
now you will receive a message that 2 masters use the same key.
go the the old master, settings -> licensing -> click change to slave -> add new master details and mgmt port -> restart
all done
hope it helps

View solution in original post

0 Karma

adonio
Ultra Champion

try first to go to the instance that is the slave, navigate to settings -> licensing -> click change to master on top. or change license group and set as its own master.
add the license key file and set the slave as master.
restart splunk
now you will receive a message that 2 masters use the same key.
go the the old master, settings -> licensing -> click change to slave -> add new master details and mgmt port -> restart
all done
hope it helps

0 Karma

pil321
Communicator

That did it...

Thank you adino!

0 Karma

regriffith
Path Finder

I ran into the same problem and didn't know what the password was in the pass4SymmKey setting in server.conf. I tried a few things in other posts and nothing worked. I noticed that the default server.conf uses changeme as the password. I entered this as the password in the local server.conf, added the master license path to master_uri and restarted. Error is now gone.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...