Deployment Architecture

System-wide conf on Indexer Slaves

morethanyell
Builder

If the configuration I wanted to distribute to the indexer slaves is not targeted to ../slave-apps, how should it be done, then?

The conf I'm trying to distribute is web.conf with below setting

[settings]
startwebservice = 0

The cluster master will put it on ../etc/slave-apps, not on ../etc/apps

Thank you in advance.

0 Karma
1 Solution

MuS
Legend

Hi morethanyell,

put your config in this directory:

$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/master-apps/_cluster/local

Read more about it here https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Indexer/Updatepeerconfigurations#On_the_master

This will still be in slave-apps on the peers but has the highest precedence.
I'm not aware of any Splunk configuration method for an index cluster that will put configs from etc/master_apps into etc/apps.

Hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

View solution in original post

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Hi morethanyell,

put your config in this directory:

$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/master-apps/_cluster/local

Read more about it here https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Indexer/Updatepeerconfigurations#On_the_master

This will still be in slave-apps on the peers but has the highest precedence.
I'm not aware of any Splunk configuration method for an index cluster that will put configs from etc/master_apps into etc/apps.

Hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

0 Karma

morethanyell
Builder

Does that mean if I create an app, let say called "system_wide_configs" and put web.conf in its /local directory, use the CM to distribute it to slave-apps, it will still work?

Theoretical Implementation:

1. Create system_wide_configs/local/web.conf
  2. Put it in CM's ../etc/master-apps
  3. apply cluster bundle
  4. perform a rolling restart

it will then create ../etc/apps/slave-apps/system_wide_configs/local/web.conf to all the indexers, right?

Will Splunk be able to read it still?

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Yep, that's the way it works.

Either config files only in the master_apps/_cluster/local directory OR an app like you described it in master_apps/

cheers, MuS

morethanyell
Builder

thank you. My thinking was right after all

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...