Deployment Architecture

System-wide conf on Indexer Slaves

morethanyell
Builder

If the configuration I wanted to distribute to the indexer slaves is not targeted to ../slave-apps, how should it be done, then?

The conf I'm trying to distribute is web.conf with below setting

[settings]
startwebservice = 0

The cluster master will put it on ../etc/slave-apps, not on ../etc/apps

Thank you in advance.

0 Karma
1 Solution

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi morethanyell,

put your config in this directory:

$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/master-apps/_cluster/local

Read more about it here https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Indexer/Updatepeerconfigurations#On_the_master

This will still be in slave-apps on the peers but has the highest precedence.
I'm not aware of any Splunk configuration method for an index cluster that will put configs from etc/master_apps into etc/apps.

Hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

View solution in original post

0 Karma

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi morethanyell,

put your config in this directory:

$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/master-apps/_cluster/local

Read more about it here https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Indexer/Updatepeerconfigurations#On_the_master

This will still be in slave-apps on the peers but has the highest precedence.
I'm not aware of any Splunk configuration method for an index cluster that will put configs from etc/master_apps into etc/apps.

Hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

0 Karma

morethanyell
Builder

Does that mean if I create an app, let say called "system_wide_configs" and put web.conf in its /local directory, use the CM to distribute it to slave-apps, it will still work?

Theoretical Implementation:

1. Create system_wide_configs/local/web.conf
  2. Put it in CM's ../etc/master-apps
  3. apply cluster bundle
  4. perform a rolling restart

it will then create ../etc/apps/slave-apps/system_wide_configs/local/web.conf to all the indexers, right?

Will Splunk be able to read it still?

0 Karma

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yep, that's the way it works.

Either config files only in the master_apps/_cluster/local directory OR an app like you described it in master_apps/

cheers, MuS

morethanyell
Builder

thank you. My thinking was right after all

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...