Deployment Architecture

Still getting license violations on my search head, even with 4.0.10

mctester
Communicator

I had the Unix app running for a while on this instance and that was indexing a lot of data so I disabled the 'os' index.

The only indexes I can see with any data going to them are the _internal and summary indexes, which shouldn't count against the license volume, right?

1 Solution

Mick
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The Unix app is the culprit. Even though you have disabled the index where the data should be stored, the inputs are still running and the data is flowing through Splunk, until it gets to the indexing processor which will throw it away.

Indexed data volume in the 4.0.x and earlier versions was calculated before the data was actually written to disk, so even though your Unix app data isn't being kept, it still counts. If you disable the inputs, or the entire app, the violations will cease.

This has changed in the latest 4.1 release, and data volumes are now calculated as the disk is written to.

View solution in original post

Mick
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The Unix app is the culprit. Even though you have disabled the index where the data should be stored, the inputs are still running and the data is flowing through Splunk, until it gets to the indexing processor which will throw it away.

Indexed data volume in the 4.0.x and earlier versions was calculated before the data was actually written to disk, so even though your Unix app data isn't being kept, it still counts. If you disable the inputs, or the entire app, the violations will cease.

This has changed in the latest 4.1 release, and data volumes are now calculated as the disk is written to.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...