Deployment Architecture

SplunkForwarder & TLS CRIME Vulnerabiliy

BastianW
Path Finder

Hello,

since October 2012 our Nessus environment list a "TLS Crime Vulnerability" on all our Windows Server who have the (currently 5.0.1) Splunk Forwarder installed. Can that be solved via config (e.g. disable disable compression and / or the SPDY service)? If yes how?

Synopsis: The remote service has a configuration that may make it vulnerable to the CRIME attack.

Description
The remote service has one of two configurations that are known to be required for the CRIME attack:

- SSL / TLS compression is enabled.

- TLS advertises the SPDY protocol earlier than version 4.

Note that Nessus did not attempt to launch the CRIME attack against the remote service.

Solution
Disable compression and / or the SPDY service.

See Also
http://www.iacr.org/cryptodb/data/paper.php?pubkey=3091

http://www.nessus.org/u?a1e45597

Risk Factor: Medium

CVSS Base Score
4.3 (CVSS2#AV:N/AC:M/Au:N/C:P/I:N/A:N)

CVSS Temporal Score
3.6 (CVSS2#E:F/RL:OF/RC:C)

Plugin Output

The following configuration indicates that the remote service
may be vulnerable to the CRIME attack :

- SSL / TLS compression is enabled.

CVE
CVE-2012-4929
CVE-2012-4930

BID

Cross-References

OSVDB:85926
OSVDB:85927

Vulnerability Publication Date: 2012/09/15

Plugin Publication Date: 2012/10/16

Plugin Last Modification Date: 2012/10/22

Public Exploit Available: True

Ayn
Legend

BastianW
Path Finder

Some months passed now and the issue is still open (also with version 5.0.3) did somebody found a configuration that solve the issue?

0 Karma

BastianW
Path Finder

Thanks for the link, but from my side it refers more to the Splunk Server rather then the splunk forwarder client.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...