Deployment Architecture

Splunk free - setting up a distributed environement (Search Head, 1 IDX, 1 UF, maybe a deployment server)

spluzer
Communicator

Hey Splunksters,

My work environment is switching from Windows (large distributed enviro) to Linux pretty soon.

I'd like to get familiar with architecting in Linux so I had a couple of questions:

I'm wondering if I can simply spin up 3-5 aws linux vm's and use the free version of splunk to get familiar with the process of creating a distributed enviro (assigning a search head, 1 idx, maybe couple of forwarders and a deployment server using the free splunk??? 

Or, is the free splunk Enterprise only good for 1 download on 1 machine ??

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

harsmarvania57
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi,

Yes you can setup multiple VMs for different Splunk role with Splunk Entrprise (which has 500MB license for 60 days).

View solution in original post

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi,

Yes you can setup multiple VMs for different Splunk role with Splunk Entrprise (which has 500MB license for 60 days).

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
But you cannot use separate LM. Use local trial licenses in all nodes.
0 Karma

ragedsparrow
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Greetings,

Splunk Free is only available for a single, stand-alone instance.  You will be unable to build a distributed environment with a Splunk Free license.

0 Karma

ragedsparrow
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

However, as previously mentioned, you could use the Splunk Enterprise Trial license to do what  you're wanting.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...