Deployment Architecture

Splunk deployer Migration

kumar493
Path Finder

Hello ,

I have a question regarding migration. Currently we are using 4 search heads tith a search head deployer which we used to deploy any apps to the search head cluster. Our deployer is on CentOS 7 vm. We have another VM is ready which is RHEL 7 and have different IP address and DNS. I have to move the splunk deployer from CentOS 7 to new RHEL 7 server. My plan is to break the current search head cluster. And reconfigure the search head cluster again which will point to the new deployer. We have some apps in the old deployer shcluster/apps location , if i copy that entire directory or the entire splunk directory and paste it to the new VM and start the splunk in it then rebuild the SHC which will point to this new vm  ? Will their will be any problem for doing so ? Will the existing apps on the SHC will be over written ?? If their is an issue for doing so please let me know the best way to acheive this ??

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Splunk’s guidance is that all nodes have same versions (OS, Splunk). I think that you could do updates so that some OS versions are different for short period, but if there will arise issues then Splunk support wants that those must be a same versions.

Here is instructions how you could replace Deployer with new, but using old configuration and members. https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.5/DistSearch/BackuprestoreSHC
r. Ismo

View solution in original post

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Splunk’s guidance is that all nodes have same versions (OS, Splunk). I think that you could do updates so that some OS versions are different for short period, but if there will arise issues then Splunk support wants that those must be a same versions.

Here is instructions how you could replace Deployer with new, but using old configuration and members. https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.5/DistSearch/BackuprestoreSHC
r. Ismo

kumar493
Path Finder

Sure thanks but is it mandatory to have the same OS version on servers ? I+Will their be any problem if you know if we use the different OS version ?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...