Deployment Architecture

Splunk Enterprise (Windows): move to new hardware and then upgrade

Marco-IT
Path Finder

Hello everybody,

I am upgrading Splunk Enterprise from 7.3.X to 8.2.5 (Windows). Due to the compatibility, I also need a more recent Windows version on my hosts to support Splunk. Therefore, I'm gonna use a new host for each server.

The architecture includes:
- 1 cluster master
- 1 deployment servers
- 1 search head
- 2 indexers (cluster)
- 1 poller (heavy forwarder)
- n universal forwarders

I've found HERE how to migrate a Splunk Enterprise instance from one physical machine to another, can anybody confirm me the following procedure?

- Stop Splunk Enterprise services on the host from which I want to migrate
- Roll any hot buckets on the source host from hot to warm
- Copy the entire contents of the $SPLUNK_HOME directory and all the directories containing buckets from the old host to the new one
- Turn off the old host
- Configure the new host in order to have the same IP address and hostname of the old host. This avoid not to redirect forwarders to the new instance
- Install Splunk Enterprise 7.3.X on the new host
- Verify that the index configuration (indexes.conf) file's volume, sizing, and path settings are still valid on the new host.
- Start Splunk Enterprise on the new instance.
- Log into Splunk Enterprise and confirm that your data is intact by searching it
- Upgrade from 7.3.X to 8.1.X and then to 8.2.5

Should I apply these steps to every host? What about the two indexers? I'm gonna need to migrate data, what's the correct procedure?
Also, I'm afraid that the new installation would reingest data from the poller, should I do something to prevent it?
Last thing: I'm gonna probably need to change the IP of one indexer, when should I change its configurations?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Marco-IT,

yes, the procedure is correct, I'd change only one step: step 3 (Copy the entire contents of the $SPLUNK_HOME directory and all the directories containing buckets from the old host to the new one):

you don't need to copy all the $SPLUNK_HOME folder, you need only etc and var.

About the second question, yes, you have to apply this process to all your hosts but it's simple because you have only a little Indexer cluster.

Remember the priorities in migration:

• 1 cluster master
  • 1 search head
  • 2 indexers (cluster)
  • 1 deployment servers
  • 1 poller (heavy forwarder)
  • universal forwarders

About the IP changing of an Indexer, it could be a problem and it should be better to avoid it, but if you need, maybe the easier approach is to add another node to the cluster, wait that the replication is complite, then cancel a node from the cluster.

You can find instruction ins Indexer cluster upgrade at https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.5/Indexer/Upgradeacluster

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Marco-IT,

yes, the procedure is correct, I'd change only one step: step 3 (Copy the entire contents of the $SPLUNK_HOME directory and all the directories containing buckets from the old host to the new one):

you don't need to copy all the $SPLUNK_HOME folder, you need only etc and var.

About the second question, yes, you have to apply this process to all your hosts but it's simple because you have only a little Indexer cluster.

Remember the priorities in migration:

• 1 cluster master
  • 1 search head
  • 2 indexers (cluster)
  • 1 deployment servers
  • 1 poller (heavy forwarder)
  • universal forwarders

About the IP changing of an Indexer, it could be a problem and it should be better to avoid it, but if you need, maybe the easier approach is to add another node to the cluster, wait that the replication is complite, then cancel a node from the cluster.

You can find instruction ins Indexer cluster upgrade at https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.5/Indexer/Upgradeacluster

Ciao.

Giuseppe

anem
Explorer

was looking for something like this , thanks for the info , do u have any doc of process or an article that was written , kindly share 

thank you 

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @anem,

it's always better to open a new question than add a post to an existing one, so more people can help you better and quickly.

Anyway, you can find some interesting documentation at:

https://wiki.splunk.com/Deploy:Migrating_a_Splunk_Install

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.5/Installation/MigrateaSplunkinstance

Ciao.

Giuseppe

anem
Explorer

thank you so much

0 Karma

Marco-IT
Path Finder

Thank you @gcusello for your quick answer.

Why should I copy only etc and var if the official documentation says the whole $SPLUNK_HOME folder (I noticed other users said the same on other answers from other topics).

What about the buckets? they aren't in etc or var, shouldn't I copy them?

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Marco-IT,

in etc, you have all the configurations files, in var you have all the data (if you didn't changed the DB_HOME), log and run files; all the other folders contain executebles, libraries, in few words all things that you usually don't modify respect the installation, so you already have them when you install the old Splunk version.

Especially on Windows, it isn't relevant to copy executables files, if you are running Splunk on Linuc, you could copy the full $SPLUNK_HOME, on windows isn't relevant.

About buckets, by default they are in $SPLUNK_HOME\var\lib\splunk, obviously, if you have indexes (buckets) in a different folder, you have to copy all of them!

Only one final hint: put much attention to use Windows as production operative system: I didn't see large Splunk infrastructure on Windows, only little or test installations!

Also because, if you have to manage Linux Forwarders with a windows Deployment Server, you'll securely have problems!

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...