Deployment Architecture

Splunk Cluster: apply bundle

adrianathome
Communicator

Is anybody else having issues with bucket replication after applying a bundle on a cluster?

It seems that some indexes do not recover properly from the restart. Some of the indexes only have 1 searchable copy. SF=2 RF=2. Sometimes I get a message or two about a bucket in the pending discard state.

Is there something else that needs to be done before applying the bundle to prevent this from happening?

Tags (2)
0 Karma

MartinMcNutt
Communicator

My little experience so far with a 20 node windows cluster is it seems hit-or-miss.

I tend to only apply bundle off hours due to the fact it takes me about 40 minutes to complete the rolling-restarts. Once the rolling-restart is done (Guessing)...I have to watch out for nodes that do not come back up.

After the restart my cluster will spend another couple minutes cleaning up the state of indexes. Ensuring that the events are properly replicated.

I guess it really comes down to how much new data is coming into your cluster when you are applying the bundle. That data will need to be replicated and if you have nodes going down it will take some time. Splunk will replicate the data but it just takes time.

The only item I recommend running before cluster bundle is checking the config to ensure no typos.

0 Karma

MartinMcNutt
Communicator

I have seen it get caught up in about twenty minutes or so.

I would recommend you look at Splunk on Splunk to get a better idea what errors are being reported. Very Nice well thought out app.

0 Karma

adrianathome
Communicator

Thanks for sharing your experience. How long would you say is considered long enough for the indexes to sync up?1 week?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...