Deployment Architecture

Splunk 6.4.2: What are the proper procedures to update the RHEL7 OS, as to limit Splunk downtime?

adkinsdiet

Running on Splunk 6.4.2 Can someone tell me proper procedures to update the RHEL7 OS, as to limit Splunk downtime?

We have a clustered environment a master/deployment server, 4 indexers, 1 ES search head and 1 heavy forwarder (for syslog). We have kernel updates, w/several rpm pkg updates as well. We need to update the servers and reboot and I am not sure of the procedure to make sure we do it properly and not to lose ingestion. I saw in Answers how to move master to maintenance in an earlier version, but couldn't find anything on this newer version.

0 Karma

renjith_nair
Legend

This should work for you :

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.4.2/Indexer/Upgradeacluster#Upgrade_to_a_new_maintenan...

On another note, if you want to reduce downtime in future, upgrade your search head also to a search head cluster and also add another HF for load balancing the syslog( if it's direct tcp)

---
What goes around comes around. If it helps, hit it with Karma 🙂
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...