Deployment Architecture

Splunk 6.2 Cluster - Message - Duplicate instance name. Ensure each instance has a unique instance (host) name.

eichfuss
Path Finder

Hi there,

i run into a problem with the new Distributed Management Console. When i change to the Ditributed Mode in the Setup view, i get the following Error Message:

Duplicate instance name. Ensure each
instance has a unique instance (host)
name.

Instance (host)--------Instance (serverName)----------Machine

steve.xxxx.de----------bill.xxxx.de--------------------------bill.xxxx.de

steve.xxxx.de----------mike.xxxx.de--------------------------mike.xxxx.de

So steve is the ClusterMaster and the two Nodes are bill and mike. I have no idea where my mistake is. Hope anyone can give me a hint.

Thanks
Regards, Sven

0 Karma
1 Solution

ibraylovskiy_sp
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Make sure both server name and host have unique values (looks like you have two instances with the same host value).

From documentation:

"Make sure that each instance in the deployment (each search head, license master, and so on) has a unique server.conf serverName value and inputs.conf host value."

View solution in original post

ibraylovskiy_sp
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Make sure both server name and host have unique values (looks like you have two instances with the same host value).

From documentation:

"Make sure that each instance in the deployment (each search head, license master, and so on) has a unique server.conf serverName value and inputs.conf host value."

dxu_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

the 'serverName's all need to be different, as well as the GUID (in splunk/etc/instance.cfg)

0 Karma

eichfuss
Path Finder

oops, sorry. I had a mistake in my post. of course i have a Indexer with servername "bill" and one indexer "mike" and the clustermaster "steve" all have different servernames and guid.

0 Karma

ibraylovskiy_sp
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

It looks like both of your "bill" and "mike" instances have the same host value in inputs.conf ("steve.xxxx.de). Those have to be unique as well.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...