Deployment Architecture

Why does Search peer have the following message: Failed to make bucket = searchable?

fbustamantes
Explorer

Hello,

I'm checking a Splunk cluster install that has been working just fine for a while. However, a few weeks ago, we had a networking problem which caused a few problems. We were able to restart the cluster once the problem was gone, and for some reason I started getting these errors all over:

Search peer <peer_name> has the following message: Failed to make bucket = <bucket_name> searchable, retry count = xxxx

I checked the buckets and identified a few that were having some kind of problems when Splunk tries to make them searchable. I stopped the cluster and run the fsck tool to fix it, however it didn't worked, and I tried looking in Splunkbase to see if anyone had an issue like this, but didn't find anything.

Currently Splunk is working fine, however, the errors a showing a lot, and some people at our production and business enviroments who use Splunk are starting to ask questions, so I would like to be able to fix it so they don't show at all.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Felipe.

Gregski11
Contributor

I realize this is an old thread but rather than starting a new one for the exact same issue I want to use this to show some history, it is 2023 now and we are on version 9.0.0 on a Windows platform and are still getting this same exact error

I have opened a technical support case with Splunk and hope to provide you with updates, troubleshooting tips and hopefully a proper solution for this issue 

Note: in my case I found the "missing" buckets on the Index Cluster Master UI under Settings \ Index clustering \  Bucket Status \ Fix Up Tasks section  

Fixup Tasks.jpg

rchintalapelli
Engager

Did you find any solution for this issue?

0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

It sounds like you need to rebuild the buckets. Check and rebuild buckets, you should follow the instructions in this post. They work for me (ignore the title).

http://wiki.splunk.com/Community:PostCrashFsckRepair

rnagheereddy
Explorer

I'm going to be a hypocrite and make the kind of post I hate: "Me too!"

Same msg on my Indexers this morning.

Did you get any assistance/ideas for troubleshooting/resolution?

EDIT: we upgraded to 6.0.2 on all Indexers, Cluster Master and Search Heads. Not seeing these msgs any more.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...