Deployment Architecture

Search head clustering with multisite indexing cluster - What happens when main site goes down?

jofe
Explorer

Hi,

I'm designing a new Splunk solution based on Search head clustering on top of a multi site indexing cluster. (a small cluster that can grow)

Three search heads (search head cluster), four indexers, two sites. (2 site cluster)

Main data center : Two search heads and two indexers.
Remote data center : One search head and two indexers.

Master node and deployer is located on a VM in main site (can be moved to other site)

Search head config:
replication_factor=3 (all search heads should have complete set)
Index cluster config on master node.
[clustering]
mode = master
multisite=true
available_sites=site1,site2
site_replication_factor = origin:1,total:2 (Only one complete copy per data center)
site_search_factor = origin:1,total:2

Q1: Will this work, and is this a good idea? 😉
Q2: If main data center fails, will data still be searchable on remote site even if this search head can't be elected captain?
Q3: If this doesn't work, What must be done to the remote site to make it operational?

Thanks!

1 Solution

matthieu_araman
Communicator

I think it will work in the following mode
adhoc search (classic) OK
scheduled : disabled because no captain

but scheduling may be very important (and there are stuff done in the background which are scheduled)

I would certainly go for 2 SH on each site
It's active-active so takes this into account for sizing (it could be on a vm in some cases)

View solution in original post

0 Karma

matthieu_araman
Communicator

I think it will work in the following mode
adhoc search (classic) OK
scheduled : disabled because no captain

but scheduling may be very important (and there are stuff done in the background which are scheduled)

I would certainly go for 2 SH on each site
It's active-active so takes this into account for sizing (it could be on a vm in some cases)

0 Karma

mikaelbje
Motivator

Surprised you haven't received an official answer here. This is of great interest to a lot of folks. Did you figure out a working setup?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...