Deployment Architecture

Search Peer Remote Account

joeldavideng
Path Finder

Hi,

I installed Splunk on two servers using the Debian installer package which creates an account called "splunk" that both instances are running as. I tried setting up the indexer as a search peer of the search head with the splunk account, but got an error saying "Connection reset by peer". I saw a couple of other posts saying the account needs admin privileges, but I'm not sure what privileges the other users meant. I don't want to give the splunk account unnecessary permissions. Can anyone please elaborate on what exactly the local splunk accounts need to be able to do to remote to each other? Also, I'm light on unix experience so feel free to explain it like I'm 5.

Thanks

0 Karma
1 Solution

joeldavideng
Path Finder

I can't believe this is going to be on the internet forever.

The Debian install package adds the user splunk in Linux to the group splunk, but doesn't add it to the Splunk application admin group. Simply doing a "splunk add user splunk -password password splunk -role admin -auth admin:password" fixed the issue.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

joeldavideng
Path Finder

I can't believe this is going to be on the internet forever.

The Debian install package adds the user splunk in Linux to the group splunk, but doesn't add it to the Splunk application admin group. Simply doing a "splunk add user splunk -password password splunk -role admin -auth admin:password" fixed the issue.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...