Deployment Architecture

Search Head Deployer error message

kmugglet
Communicator

Has anyone seen this error before?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<response>
  <messages>
    <msg type="ERROR">Error while deploying apps to first member, aborting apps deployment to all members: Error while updating app=test1 on target=https://xx.xx.xx.xx:8089: Non-200/201 status_code=400; {"messages":[{"type":"ERROR","text":"Argument \"deploy\" is not supported by this handler."}]}</msg>
  </messages>
</response>

Running from the deployer , target address is the current cluster captain

Splunk V7.3.5 deployer talking to V7.2.7 Search heads

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

codebuilder
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Oh wait, in my previous reply I agreed with @richgalloway , and still do, but after re-reading your post I noticed the delta in versions.

The hashing algorithm for pass4SymmKey's is different. Based on that, I think you need to re-enter the pass4SymmKey in plain text on the search heads. I'm guessing they are not recognizing the deployer as a valid member of the cluster because of the version difference.

Update the key, then cycle Splunk on the SHC members and try again.

----
An upvote would be appreciated and Accept Solution if it helps!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

codebuilder
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Oh wait, in my previous reply I agreed with @richgalloway , and still do, but after re-reading your post I noticed the delta in versions.

The hashing algorithm for pass4SymmKey's is different. Based on that, I think you need to re-enter the pass4SymmKey in plain text on the search heads. I'm guessing they are not recognizing the deployer as a valid member of the cluster because of the version difference.

Update the key, then cycle Splunk on the SHC members and try again.

----
0 Karma

kmugglet
Communicator

Yeah, I think it was a version thing.
I downgraded to 7.2.7 and everything worked again properly.

Thanks for the info about the hashing algorithm, I'm building a new build for 7.3.5 so it "should" be all fresh and shiny and new and work like a charm straight out of the box ...........................................

0 Karma

codebuilder
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

And on the hashing, yes. As long as all the versions are the same you should not have an issue.
Also, just to note...don't copy the hashed pass4SymmKey value from one member to another. Always enter it in plain text on the member and cycle Splunk.

----
0 Karma

kmugglet
Communicator

Update on this, I've installed 7.3.5 from scratch with new plain text pass4symmkey and sslpasswords
Still get the same error, so there's still more to this than just the hashing I think.

I shall persevere and update again if there's any solution

0 Karma

codebuilder
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What output do you get from the following (obviously add your user/password) ?:

/opt/splunk/bin/splunk show shcluster-status -auth :

----
0 Karma

codebuilder
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Awesome, glad it helped!

----
0 Karma

kmugglet
Communicator

This output was from a curl command to deploy.

I get the same error message body when using ./splunk apply shcluster-bundle -target=https://xx.xx.xx.xx:8089

0 Karma

anthonymelita
Contributor

I have not had this exact error, but similar ones. In my case I once had an empty app directory, and another case files with bad permissions.

p.s. I'm guessing this is just a mistake in your comment, but there should be space after target, not an equals symbol.

0 Karma

codebuilder
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I second what @richgalloway recommended...

----
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Make sure the target is really a SHC member.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...