Deployment Architecture

Scale Bucket size for time series data

bondu
Explorer

I am trying to generate a chart where the x-axis scales over time. So the columns would be:
1 hour, 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year

Do I need to create each bucket individually, or can I do it with some sort of log scale? The columns don't need to be exactly the date ranges above.

0 Karma
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Assuming you want to look back from the end of the time range into the past, here's an idea:

index=_internal | addinfo | eval diff = info_max_time - _time
| eval bucket = case(diff < 60, "1m", diff < 3600, "1h", diff < 86400, "1d") | chart count by bucket

I'm grabbing the end of the time range to calculate how "old" an event is, then I'm shoving the events into custom buckets and charting by that.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Assuming you want to look back from the end of the time range into the past, here's an idea:

index=_internal | addinfo | eval diff = info_max_time - _time
| eval bucket = case(diff < 60, "1m", diff < 3600, "1h", diff < 86400, "1d") | chart count by bucket

I'm grabbing the end of the time range to calculate how "old" an event is, then I'm shoving the events into custom buckets and charting by that.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Great... I'll mark this as solved?

0 Karma

bondu
Explorer

I was able to use this example with a few changes:

index=_internal | addinfo | eval diff = info_max_time - _time | eval bucket = case(diff <= 86400, "1 day", 86400 < diff AND diff <= 172800, "2 days", 172800 < diff AND diff <= 604800, "1 week", 604800 < diff AND diff <= 1209600, "2 weeks", 1209600 < diff AND diff <= 2628000, "1 month") | chart count by bucket
0 Karma

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You can also (if you want) try something like:

... | addinfo | eval diff= info_max_time - _time | bucket span=1log10 diff | chart count by diff

You can experiment with different values for the span, e.g., 1log2 or 1.2log10. This will give you time differences in seconds. The number of seconds might be awkward to work with though, so the method above with case() would be better in that case.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...