Deployment Architecture

Restoring only selected indexes, backup best practices

Branden
Builder

Hello. We are planning an upgrade from Splunk 7.2.1 to Splunk 8.0.x. For best practices, we'd like to back up our indexes prior to the upgrade, but we're having an issue: our backup solutions can never keep up with the amount of incoming data, and we can't (won't) turn Splunk off for a long enough time to freeze incoming traffic for a full backup. It's many terabytes of data...

Some indexes are more important than others, so I was kicking around backing up just the 'critical' indexes. If we upgrade and the indexes become corrupted, we could still restore the important indexes.

Is that sound logic? Can indexes be restored piece-meal like that?

Our environment is simple: one Indexer/Search head with a bunch of UFs.

Also, if anyone has any recommendations for backing up Splunk indexes, please let me know. I've read Splunk's docs as well as posts on here on how to do it but, as I mentioned, the backups just can't keep up with the incoming stream.

Thanks!

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Are your indexers clustered?

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

Branden
Builder

They are not. Simple environment. One indexer, bunch of forwarders. I'll update the original post with that info.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...