Deployment Architecture

Questions with Bucket rolling criteria

debjit_k
Path Finder

Hi All, 

I have few concerns regarding buck rolling criteria my question is more focused on hot bucket.

So we have 2 types of index
1.  Default 
2. Local or customized index 

So when I check the log retention of default index 

Hot
it shows 90 days 

Maxbucketcreate=auto

Maxdbsize=auto

And we don't define anything for for local index 

So while checking we fig out like for a particular index we can only have 55 days of logs in out hot bucket n when we see the log consumption for this index is nearly about 12-14gb per day 

And for other local index we can see more than 104 days of logs 

My concern is what retention policy splunk is following to roll the bucket for local index

1. 90 days period (which is not happening here)

2. When the hot bucket is full per day wise basis( if splunk is following this then how much data a index can store per day n how many hot bucket we have for local index n how much data each bucket can contain) 

Hope im not confusing 

Thanks 

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @debjit_k ,

Yes, maxTotalDataSizeMB defines the total storage of hot+warm+cold.

When an index exceeds this value, the older buckets will be automaticaaly discarded without any attention to the retention, for this reason I hint to put much attention to the Capacity Plan, to avoid to discard data inside the retention period that you could need (e.g. regulation requirements).

If you need to maintain these data after the retention period or when the max side is reached, you should create a script that saves data in another location in offline way.

Anyway it's possible to resume these frozen data as thawed.

To know how many logs you daily index you can use the Monitoring Console, anyway, the algorythm to calculate storage occupation is the one I described in my previous answer:

daily_index_rate * 0.5 * retention_period_in_days,

even if the best way is using the calculator I already shared.

use always a safe factor because a bucket will not be immediately deleted but when the latest event exceeds the retentin period.

Tell me if I can help you more, otherwise, please, accept one answer for the other people of Community

Ciao and happy splunking

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated 😉

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @debjit_k ,

Yes, maxTotalDataSizeMB defines the total storage of hot+warm+cold.

When an index exceeds this value, the older buckets will be automaticaaly discarded without any attention to the retention, for this reason I hint to put much attention to the Capacity Plan, to avoid to discard data inside the retention period that you could need (e.g. regulation requirements).

If you need to maintain these data after the retention period or when the max side is reached, you should create a script that saves data in another location in offline way.

Anyway it's possible to resume these frozen data as thawed.

To know how many logs you daily index you can use the Monitoring Console, anyway, the algorythm to calculate storage occupation is the one I described in my previous answer:

daily_index_rate * 0.5 * retention_period_in_days,

even if the best way is using the calculator I already shared.

use always a safe factor because a bucket will not be immediately deleted but when the latest event exceeds the retentin period.

Tell me if I can help you more, otherwise, please, accept one answer for the other people of Community

Ciao and happy splunking

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated 😉

debjit_k
Path Finder

Hi @gcusello 

Really appropriate for helping me this much to understand the concept of the bucket. 

Thank 

Debjit 

0 Karma

debjit_k
Path Finder

Hi  @gcusello 

sure sure. 
after all it’s a community’s where we share our problems or knowledge to learn more. 

I’m little bit worried with the concern which I’m having with my environment, if I figure out somehow I will post it here. 

thanks 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...