Deployment Architecture

Problem trying to use deployment-apps

smellpit
Explorer

I am fresh to Splunk Enterprise so I must be missing something simple. To summarize: what does a deployment application actually do? I see the "deployment": the files are copied from the search head/DS to the specified forwarder(s). Everything about "Forwarder management" appears to be working as expected, being configured with the web GUI and/or the CLI files. I have separate Linux instances for 6.5.1 search head, indexers, forwarders, and have been through the Updating SE Instances 6.5.1 PDF several times.

To rephrase, the ./deployment-apps files are deployed but then what? Descriptions mention deployment of arbitrary content, script and configuration files. Setting aside the if/when/how for running(?) script files, configuration files are the concern here. I've seen text and other Answers posts that imply the deployment of, say, an inputs.conf file to a forwarder will affect the data it looks at, ingests. I can see how that configuration deployment would make sense when there are many forwarders that want to do about the same thing

Details here:
* Deployment server & clients show as connected with ./splunk CLI show/list deploy commands.
* Automated deployment and manual "reload deploy-server" have both been done.
* As said earlier, the files are being deployed to the clients.
* Fresh "qwerty" index.
* An inputs.conf is set-up & deployed to a forwarder for an existing log file:

Deployment server
cat $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/deployment-apps/qwerty-app/default/inputs.conf
[monitor:///opt/log/junk]
disabled = false
index = qwerty
whitelist = *.log

Forwarder
[splunk qwerty-app]$ cat /opt/splunkforwarder/etc/apps/qwerty-app/default/inputs.conf
[monitor:///opt/log/junk]
disabled = false
index = qwerty
whitelist = *.log

Log file on forwarder
[splunk]$ ls -al /opt/log/junk/*
-rw------- 1 splunk splunk 864674 Jan 13 22:35 /opt/log/junk/crunch.log

Shouldn't the new "qwerty" index now have crunch.log data? The forwarder splunkd process was set to restart following the app deployment; restarting it and the search head again made no difference. I've also tried the conf with & without the 'host' parameter (didn't think it'd matter).

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

0 Karma
1 Solution

smellpit
Explorer

The problem was something simple: once I started using ./local instead of ./default the .conf files have been working as expected. I know about the precedence rules & the general "don't use ./default" rule-of-thumb. I still thought ./default would be OK since it is in the hierarchy & there are Splunk PDF deployment-app examples that use ./default. And I'd think that at least the first ./default deployment would do something as opposed to apparently nothing (at least for .conf files).

Thanks everyone for your help & input.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

smellpit
Explorer

The problem was something simple: once I started using ./local instead of ./default the .conf files have been working as expected. I know about the precedence rules & the general "don't use ./default" rule-of-thumb. I still thought ./default would be OK since it is in the hierarchy & there are Splunk PDF deployment-app examples that use ./default. And I'd think that at least the first ./default deployment would do something as opposed to apparently nothing (at least for .conf files).

Thanks everyone for your help & input.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi smellpit,
I agree with the other friends, to better understand the process see http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.1/Troubleshooting/Cantfinddata.
Every way, first check you have to do is to verify if you receive logs from that server

index=_internal host=yourhost

id not, verify if routes and ports are open (telnet IP_SPLUNK_SERVER 9997 from the forwarder)
if yes check if the monitor command is correct /opt/log/junk/*.logand if you receive something index=* host=yourhost with time period=always.
I noted that you didn't set a sourcetype, so verify if events are acquired with the correct timestamp (maybe you received them but with a wrong timestamp and you don't see them).
Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

smellpit
Explorer

I had seen "I can't find my data!" before but this time it (almost) fits. Briefly (well, not, but frustration wants to answer everything):

• Are you running Splunk Free? No, trial license. And the indexers aren't slaving the master license but that should not matter (see next "Example case").
  • Was the data added to a different index? "Example case" (a Splunk example) delivers to "main" but my test cases haven't delivered to other indexes.
  • Do your permissions allow you to see the data? All Linux-sample log files are splunk:splunk (processes user:group).
  • What about issues related to time? Cannot see a relation: "All time" works, but only(!?) for the "Example case" /var/log/messages file.
  • Are you using forwarders? Yes, which works fine w/ "Example case(!)" log file.
  • Are you using search heads? Yes, and searches do see new and existing indexer data.
  • Are you still logged in and under your license usage? Yes.
  • Are you using a scheduled search? No.
  • Check your search query; Are you using NOT, AND, or OR? Don't need to: 'index="whatever"' is enough to check (un)available data.
  • Are you extracting fields? Doesn't need to get that far.

This must be something simple or (very) esoteric; thanks in advance.

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

It's good to start with - I can't find my data!

in general, instead of - SPLUNK_HOME/etc/deployment-apps/qwerty-app/default/inputs.conf use please SPLUNK_HOME/etc/deployment-apps/qwerty-app/local/inputs.conf.

Do you have the corresponding outputs.conf?

About Log file on forwarder
[splunk]$ ls -al /opt/log/junk/*
-rw------- 1 splunk splunk 864674 Jan 13 22:35 /opt/log/junk/crunch.log

does tail /opt/log/junk/crunch.log work?

Do you see any errors on the forwarder at /opt/splunkforwarder/var/log/splunk/splunkd.log?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...